The following statement was released by Friends Council on March 18, 2021. The statement has now been updated, on March 25, 2021, with a list of resources.
For the past year, Asians, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have been unfairly blamed for the COVID19 pandemic and have been the targets of racial slurs, xenophobia, and violence. This week, the murders in Georgia – with six of eight of the victims being of Asian descent – have finally caught the nation’s attention; for too long the violence against the AAPI community and the fear and suffering they have been experiencing has been downplayed.
Friends Council stands committed to our ongoing work in antiracism and racial justice and we hold in the Light the many members of the AAPI community in our Friends school network and across the world. At this time we call on all in our Friends School communities to take action by learning more about our AAPI friends and neighbors and by raising your voices within your sphere of influence.
With thanks to Peter Sun, an upper school history teacher at Friends Select School, Friends Council offers the following resources to members of our Friends School community:
- Anti-Asian Violence Resources
This website contains many categorized links to support “resources to educate”, “allyship”, and “mental health”.
- Stand Against Hatred
This is a website that is run by Asian Americans Advancing Justice for the purpose of documenting and tracking anti-Asian incidents.
- Stop AAPI Hate is an incident tracking/reporting site. It also has reports, news releases, and some useful resources.
- iHollaBack.org. This site has a great “Bystander Intervention Guide” and offers free intervention training.
- "Anti-racism resources to support Asian American, Pacific Islander community," NBC News
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice is offering “Bystander Intervention Trainings” over Zoom.
- Asian American Federation makes resources available in various Asian languages.
- News Sources
- "How to support Asian American colleagues amid the recent wave of anti-Asian violence," NBC News
- "6 Ways to Support the Asian Community Right Now," PureWow
Friends Council on Education